Fall 2020 brings many questions for your deaf youth’s education and future. Our research shows family support is so important! While there is a great deal of uncertainty now and in the months ahead, we encourage families to use ways to connect with their deaf teenager, look for opportunities to seek community support, and advocate for their equal access guaranteed by law to all learning opportunities.
This guide has key strategies to support deaf success with your child during Fall 2020 and beyond.
- Have high expectations! Parent expectations play a critical role for deaf youth as they transition from high school to college and work experiences.
- Think about multiple options and pathways to life after high school. Transition planning for deaf youth requires a flexible, positive approach, now more than ever.
- Learn from current deaf college students about their strategies for navigating different challenges during the pandemic.
- Connect with vocational rehabilitation professionals in your area and learn about the options for pre-employment transition services.
- Emphasize Self-determination skill development at home. These skills have life long benefits in school, in the workplace, and in the community.
- Advocate for accessible resources with your child, including remote interpreting, speech to text, and inclusive online learning design.
- Encourage your child to play Deafverse, a choose-your-own-adventure game created just for teenagers. This online game comes with student and teacher guides, home activity packs, and more.
- Watch the NDC #DeafSuccess video playlist with your child to see deaf adults share their many different pathways of life after high school.
- Cultivate stress management and wellness for all family members. With many providers using remote video services, explore what options may be available for accessible wellness and mental health supports.
- Seek out a mentor for your child. Research shows deaf youth who participate in mentorship programs develop greater confidence, self-worth, and deaf identity, which can in turn build self-esteem.
STAY CONNECTED WITH NDC
- COVID-19 Info and FAQs are regularly updated.
- NDC | Help Team is just a click away.
- Subscribe to keep current and connect with peers.