Though COVID-19 cases seem to be going down with rising vaccination rates, the fall 2021 semester will still be littered with uncertainty. Schools are planning for a variety of class formats — in-person, online, hybrid. Planning for all the different options also includes designing accessible environments.
Get Answers, Resources and More
The National Deaf Center on Postsecondary Outcomes (NDC) has supported hundreds of institutions while navigating the pandemic’s impact on deaf students, and is here to help you ensure your campus activities are accessible — whether they are online or in-person.
This presentation will offer suggestions and solutions to address common concerns about implementing accommodations. NDC will provide resources to help your institution prepare for deaf students attending and participating in activities or programs.
You will learn how to:
- Hire, coordinate and work with service providers (i.e. interpreters and speech-to-text professionals) in a variety of remote and in-person settings.
- Address barriers to communication, like face masks.
- And maintain sanitary assistive listening equipment in multiple spaces.
Stephanie Zito, M.S., NIC, is the lead Technical Assistance Specialist with NDC. She is also a nationally certified sign language interpreter and trained C-Print captionist, and serves as President for the National Association of Interpreters in Education (NAIE).
Lore Kinast, Ed.D., is a Technical Assistance Specialist with NDC. Lore provides higher education professionals, employers, students, parents, and organizations with resources, strategies, and tools to ensure deaf students can access their college education.
Interpreting Panel Recording Now Available
Did you miss our panel discussion on interpreting services? The recording, along with a summary of the discussion, is now available online.
You can also find information about upcoming events or get caught up on past events on our Events Page.
- Does registration cost anything? No. This event is FREE for all viewers.
- Who can attend the live panel? This presentation is designed with professionals who coordinate accommodations for deaf people. Anyone interested is also welcome!
- Will interpreters or real-time captioning be provided? Yes, both are being provided. If you have additional accommodation needs please email email@example.com.
- Will professional development credits be offered for this panel? Yes, the event has been pre-approved for .15 PS RID CEUs and 1.5 CRC Clock Hour.
- Will a recording be made available to those who could not attend? Yes, the recording will be sent to everyone who registers for the event and shared on NDC’s News page.
- Will professional development credits be available for recorded events? No, professional development credits are available only for live events.
- I did not get the event code at the end of the session. Can I still receive professional development credit? No, unfortunately the event code is one of our verifications that you attended the full duration of the event.
- I need a certificate of attendance for the event, but not professional development credits. Event codes were posted during the live event. You can complete the link provided with the event codes, and you will be able to generate a certificate.