Educating Faculty about Accommodations

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Kathy Cerenzo
(@kcerenzo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Hi all,  I was wondering if you have found an effective way to educate faculty about how accommodations will work in the classroom setting and the role they play in supporting these accommodations. I would like to have a more collaborative partnership around accommodations and not sure where to get started. Any suggestions?

Jana
 Jana
(@janamauldin)
Member Moderator

Hi Kathy,

At Madison College, we like to send instructors an email before class starts with a quick one-pager on how to work with interpreters or real-time caption writers. We also send instructions for how to submit media to be close captioned. We have gone back and forth for a while on whether to include the student on this email or not! We love having a student self-advocate, and yet when a student isn't interested in sending emails to introduce themselves, instructors feel caught off guard without having been told that another professional will be in their classroom. What do other institutions do?

ReplyQuote
Kathy Cerenzo
(@kcerenzo)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Hi Jana, I love the one pager. While I work in the secondary school system, I think having a one pager to provide to teachers at the start of the school year with strategies to implement the most common accommodations would be a great resource, especially for newer teachers. Thanks for sharing.

ReplyQuote

Need Help?

Fill out this form to get help from the NDC team.  Can’t see the form below? Click here to contact the NDC team.