October is National Disability Employment Awareness month. As part of our month-long celebration, NDC invites you to join a live 1-hour behind-the-scenes event on Deafverse, our ground-breaking game for deaf teenagers. This event features a panel of talented deaf professionals who worked to create this first-of-its-kind online educational game.
Deafverse is a choose-your-own-adventure online game designed to foster self-determination and self-advocacy in deaf youth. The expert panelists from the Deafverse team will explain their different roles and experiences in the game development of the game. They will also share their personal journey of #DeafSuccess.
NDC will also provide exclusive previews that will show participants why the new Deafverse World Two: Revenge of the Deep expansion is a brand-new adventure that you absolutely can’t miss!
Panel discussion will include:
- Examples of self-determination, self-advocacy, and autonomy positively impact postsecondary success for deaf youth.
- Discussion on the impact of attitudes or biases about deaf people contributed, both positively or negatively, towards a pathway of success.
- Resources to foster development of personal growth and skills that are essential to success during and after high school.
Moderator and Panelists
- Kent Turner, moderator, Gaming Coordinator at NDC
- Justin Perez, Deafverse narrator/videographer and Visual Language Specialist with Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing at the Department of Health
- Brit Macias, Deafverse Animator and Media Specialist at NDC
- William Albright, Senior Software Engineer, at NDC
- Carlisle Robinson, Deafverse Illustrator and Graphic Designer at CB Linguistic Service
- Does registration cost anything? No. This event is FREE for all viewers.
- Who can attend the live panel? This event is designed for those engaging with deaf youth in postsecondary settings. Anyone interested is also welcome!
- Will interpreters or real-time captioning be provided? Yes, both are being provided. If you have additional accommodation needs please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Will a recording be made available to those who could not attend? We are pleased to announce that NDC Live events will have recordings available after-the-fact. Availability and instructions for accessing these recordings will be available on our website.
- Will professional development credits be offered for this panel? Yes, the event has been pre-approved for .1 PS RID CEUs and 1 CRC Clock Hour. You must be present for the entire event. There will be a code shared at the beginning and end of the presentation that you will use to submit for professional development credits.
- I did not get one of the event codes. Can I still receive professional development credit? No, unfortunately both event codes must be used to verify that you attended the full duration of the event. We do not provide the codes after they have been shown during the event.
- I need a certificate of attendance for the event, but not professional development credits, how do I receive one? You must use event codes provided during the live event and complete the professional development form which will automatically generate a certificate that is emailed to you.
- Will professional development credits be available for recorded events? No, professional development credits are available only for live events.