Where can I find mental health providers that specialize in serving deaf people?

Ask your state agency for referrals to mental health providers who have experience working with deaf people. To find your state agency, see the National Association of State Agencies of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (NASADHH) directory of state-by-state agencies serving deaf people.

Contact nationwide mental health service providers such as the Deaf Counseling Center, National Deaf Therapy, or the Deaf Wellness Center.

If you or someone you know is in a crisis that requires immediate assistance, people can reach out to any national hotline and use telecommunication relay services. The following is a list of crisis hotlines serving deaf people:

National Deaf Domestic Violence Hotline is a partnership between the Abused Deaf Women’s Advocacy Services (ADWAS) and National Domestic Violence Hotline (NDVH) and answers videophone calls and emails 24/7. Deaf people can call 855-812-1001 or email [email protected]. If using a voice phone, you will be connected with an interpreter for the call.

DeafLEAD is a non-profit agency that provides a 24/7 videophone and text-messaging crisis hotline for victims of crime. Deaf people can call via videophone to 321-800-3323 or text the word HAND to 839863 to be connected with a crisis counselor.

Crisis Text Line is a 24/7 text-messaging support line for and has a partnership with Gallaudet University and the Deaf community. Deaf people can text the word DEAF to 741741 and be connected with a crisis counselor.

Note: NDC does not endorse any specific agency, provider, or vendor of services and the information shared above should not be considered as such.

Did this help you?
Need more help? Contact us today!
Updated on July 29, 2022

Need Help?

Fill out this form to get help from the NDC team.  Can’t see the form below? Click here to contact the NDC team.