The disability services office says they have no money or I have to pay for my own accommodations. Is it my responsibility to pay?

Watch in ASL

No. If your school says your are responsible for to pay for your accommodations, you can respond by stating:

“Under federal laws, I am not required to pay for my approved accommodations. It is the responsibility of the school to provide and pay for accommodations (interpreters, speech-to-text services, captioned media, notetaker, etc.)”

You can read more about this in the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) Auxiliary Aids and Services for Postsecondary Students with Disabilities document and in our Expert Lecture: ADA Series videos. If you need to modify your accommodations plan, these should not be seen as an additional expense. Read “What resources will help me advocate for my needs with the disability services (DS) office?” for more advocacy tips.

Did this help you?
Need more help? Contact us today!
Updated on July 29, 2022

Need Help?

Fill out this form to get help from the NDC team.  Can’t see the form below? Click here to contact the NDC team.