Yes! VR provides Pre-Employment Transition Services (Pre-ETS) to deaf youth still attending school. Pre-ETS covers five areas for youth to become ready for training, education and employment after high school:
- Job Exploration: discover how interests, passions and abilities match with certain careers.
- Work-Based Learning: work in real-life employment settings to practice, learn and apply skills.
- Postsecondary Counseling: plan ahead and work towards a career goal through vocational training, college or other training programs.
- Work Readiness Training: acquire different skills in communicating, working with others, problem-solving and practicing professionalism.
- Instruction in Self-Advocacy: learn what and how to ask for accommodations at college, training programs or work.
Work with your Individualized Education Plan team to ensure that Pre-ETS and VR are included in your plan or directly apply to your local VR office! VR can include families, teachers and the IEP team to make sure everyone is on the same page to prepare for life after high school. Families should participate in meetings with VR to provide additional support, information and guidance. If the deaf student is below 18, a guardian is required to sign off on paperwork.