Why can’t I use auto-captions? What does “effective communication” mean? How do I pin the interpreter?
Get answers to these frequently asked questions and more with NDC Live: Remote Services, a free, online event featuring members of the National Deaf Center on Postsecondary Outcomes’ (NDC) help team, Stephanie Zito, MS, NIC and Lore Kinast, MA. Their presentation, based off their presentation at the AHEAD 2020 Conference, will focus on remote service providers such as interpreters and speech-to-text professionals.
The event, held via Zoom, will start at 2 p.m. CT on Sept. 15 and will be recorded for those who are unable to attend live. It will also be live-streamed on Facebook.
What does ‘effective communication’ mean in the era of COVID-19?
The sudden shift to online learning in the pandemic has left schools, colleges, universities, and other postsecondary programs scrambling to ensure deaf students have equitable access to their studies.
NDC Live: Remote Services will cover some of the most frequently asked questions, provide targeted resources, and give participants an opportunity to get answers to their own questions from experienced professionals.
Connect with more NDC Live events
Whether you are working with your first deaf person, or have years of experience, creating an equitable learning environment can be a challenge. Deaf people are not all the same, and the “right” accommodations are different for each person and each setting — online, in-person, or hybrid.
NDC Live is a new series of online events designed to give disability services professionals, instructors, administrators, deaf students and their families a way to connect with each other and experts in the field. Each event will feature a member of the NDC | help team or other leading experts in the field who will address pressing issues, answer questions, and provide resources and guidance.
More resources from NDC
Not sure where to start for the fall 2020 semester? NDC’s Deaf Success in Fall 2020: Guides for Colleges, High Schools, and Families provide key strategies, common pitfalls and other resources to navigate uncertainty and have a successful semester.
Hundreds of other free resources are available, including free online classes on Deaf 101, Instructional Strategies, Effective Communication and much more. Sign up for NDC’s newsletter and listserv to stay updated on new events, resources, classes, and more.
Contact the NDC | help team for additional questions or make an appointment with one of our specialists.
- Does registration cost anything? No. This event is FREE for all viewers.
- Who can attend the live panel? This presentation is designed with professionals who coordinate accommodations for deaf people. Anyone interested is also welcome!
- Will interpreters or real-time captioning be provided? Yes, both are being provided. If you have additional accommodation needs please email email@example.com.
- Will professional development credits be offered for this panel? Yes, the event has been pre-approved for .01 GS RID CEUs and 1 CRC Clock Hour.
- Will a recording be made available to those who could not attend? Yes, the recording will be sent to everyone who registers for the event and shared on NDC’s News page.
- Will professional development credits be available for recorded events? No, professional development credits are available only for live events.
- I did not get the event code at the end of the session. Can I still receive professional development credit? No, unfortunately the event code is one of our verifications that you attended the full duration of the event.
- I need a certificate of attendance for the event, but not professional development credits. Event codes were posted during the live event. You can complete the link provided with the event codes, and you will be able to generate a certificate.